Friday, April 16, 2010

Home Love and more ... New books!


I've just received a new collection of books! First up is the just-released Home Love by Megan Morton, who writes a column for Good Weekend. The book's subtitle is "100 inspiring ideas for creating beautiful rooms" and I agree that it's very inspiring ... Heaps of photos of beautiful rooms in many different styles, plus lots of decorating advice. It's also beautifully presented as a hardback complete with a ribbon bookmark (which I always love!).

Next is The Find by Stan Williams. This is an American book that looks at integrating vintage, market and op-shop finds into your decor. The book covers furniture, home accessories and tableware amongst other topics. Again, there are many amazing photos and lots of tips.

In a similar vein, I also have some more copies of Flea Market Style, which is one of my all-time favourite decorating books - every page is just stunning and always makes me wish I had a bigger house! It's popular and keeps selling out so I'm happy to have it back in stock like an old friend!


And for the arty/crafty people, I have a few new and interesting books. The Art of Looking Sideways describes itself as "a primer in visual intelligence, an exploration of the workings of the eye, the hand, the brain and the imagination". Its author, Alan Fletcher, says in the book that it "has no beginning, middle or end. It's a journey without a destination". Full of intriguing photos, drawings, musings and useless information, it's a large and highly unusual work.



For those who like to make, there's D.I.Y. Design it Yourself by Ellen Lupton, which is a handbook for designing everything from business cards to T-shirts. I've had a copy of this myself for years and found it to be very useful as a kick-starter for design projects.

And finally, perhaps the most amazing "book" I've ever come across: Things I Have Learned in My Life So Far, by designer Stefan Sagmeister. This one's a collection of 15 "signatures" (slim unbound booklets), each with different graphics, that fit inside a die-cut slipcase. You can shuffle them around so the "cover" of the book can have many different looks. Beautiful.


No comments: