Sunday, April 11, 2010

What's it all about?

Welcome to Black, White & Rouge, a gift and homewares shop in beautiful Daylesford, Victoria. My name is Sarah and I'm the owner.

So how did Black, White & Rouge come about? In October 2008, my husband and I gave up our 20+ year careers in IT and moved to this lovely country town. We were the classic "tree change" cliche! In recent years I had developed an interest in interior design and done some part-time study in the field, so I decided to open a shop with the aim of bringing a new mix of modern, vintage and handmade items to the market here. I opened the doors in November 2009.

A bit about Daylesford ... It's been popular with tourists for many years, initially for its spas and more recently also for its fine dining and shopping! There's plenty of accommodation ranging from B&Bs to luxury hotels and guesthouses, and it's also a popular destination for day trips from Melbourne, about 1.5 hours' drive away.

Amongst many places worth a visit are: the recently renovated Hepburn Bathhouse and Spa; the Lake House restaurant and hotel; wolf at the door gallery and Red Star Cafe in Hepburn Springs; Lavandula lavender farm; and the Lark handmade shop in Daylesford.

Daylesford now also has a monthly Makers' Market showcasing handmade goods from makers throughout central Victoria. The Makers' Market schedule can be found here.

In this blog I will be writing about interior design, decoration and styling; highlighting new items in my shop; and building a community of design aficionados from Daylesford, central Victoria, Melbourne and beyond! So stay tuned for more posts, feel free to become a fan on Facebook, and comment away so we can get to know each other.

No comments: